Monday, July 23, 2012

Initial Reaction Caught on Twitter

"I've always wanted to learn a new language... didn't know it was going to be braille #brightside" - Tweet written 04/02/12 in reaction to my diagnosis of Stargardt's Disease.

My twitter account is often used as a cathartic stream of seemingly random musings. Twitter is my preferred social network oddly enough because 95% of the people I follow or who I follow I don't know. So I tend to give myself permission to be unrestricted in what I say on the site. I've tweeted everything from breakups, my spiritual beliefs, my unpopular opinion on tattoos and more. So why wouldn't I tweet about my life changing diagnosis.
The following are tweets from April 2, 2012. They were mostly written after I did some brief research on Stargardt's disease. It was my attempt not to fall into a pessimistic attitude which is if you knew me isn't a difficult task for me.


04/02/12 11:56 am EST  - I guess another person today is going to be shining more lights in my eyes. Hopefully he can tell me what's wrong. 

04/02/12 12:03 pm EST -  I have a feeling I'm going to end up seeing more doctors b4 they know what is wrong 100%. 

04/02/12 5:39 pm ESTI guess it was good I bought a camera today.... there won't be many years left for me to really appreciate pictures.

04/02/12 5:41 pm EST -So I've been slowly losing my vision the majority of my life and didn't know it. You learn something new everyday.

04/02/12 5:42 pm EST - 

I have to "look" at the brightside of things. Looking anywhere else is kinda hard LOL.

04/02/12 5:44 pm EST - I've always wanted to learn a new language... didn't know it was going to be braille.

04/02/12 5:48 pm EST - The official diagnosis right now is Stargardt's Disease. Basically its my parents fault... lol

04/02/12 5:51 pm EST - The glasses in my Avi are not prescription..I'm just trying to look like a hipster.

04/02/12 5:52 pm EST - Don't get me wrong being told at 27 years old that you're going blind upsets me, but things could be worse.

04/02/12 5:54 pm EST - I'm fortunate that I live in a time and place where I have access to technology so I can make the best out of life.

04/02/12 7:24 pm EST - I don't think me being diagnosed with this disease is karma in any way, It predates any wrongs 

I've done, I'm just aware of it now.

You can follow me on twitter under the handle @essceejulies But be warned my tweets can be very unfiltered and candid.

No comments :